North Carolina Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (NCBPTE) Continuing Competence Course/Activity Providers
If you are a course or activity provider that is approved as a provider or has approval for a course through another physical therapy entity:
You are already considered approved in NC by virtue of that approval, for the purposes. Rule .0108 of the NC Continuing Competence Board Rules says, any of the following are considered “pre-approved” and will not need further approval in NC:
Any individual, facility, department or company has the ability to submit and obtain approval for continuing competence activities
NC Board rule 21 NCAC 48G .0108 (c) describes pre-approved providers:
21 NCAC 48G .0108 APPROVAL OF PROVIDERS AND ACTIVITIES
- The Board shall approve a provider if it is satisfied that the provider's programs have met the standards set forth in Rule .0107 of this Section.
- Once a provider is approved, the continuing competence activities offered by that organization are approved for credit and no application must be made to the Board for approval.
- The following organizations are approved providers:
- Any agency or board responsible for licensing individuals to practice physical therapy in the United States or Canada;
- The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), including any Sections, credentialed residencies and fellowships and its accrediting subsidiary;
- State Chapters of APTA;
- The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT), and any accrediting subsidiary;
- The International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET);
- Any providers approved or accredited by the agencies or organizations listed in Subparagraphs (1) through (5) of this Paragraph;
- Physical therapist and physical therapist assistant programs approved by an agency recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation; and
- The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, North Carolina Division of Public Health and North Carolina Area Health Education Centers with regard to activities directly related to physical therapy.
Pre-approved providers need to comply with the responsibilities listed below; however no additional application is required.
Seeking course/activity approval in NC:
NCBPTE Board rules offer several options for becoming approved as a provider or having a single course approved:
- Single Course Approval options:
- NCBPTE – single course approval, $25.00 for NC PT licensees, $ 150.00 for non-licensees seeking approval of a course;
NCBPTE Course Application Form OR
- NCPTA – North Carolina Physical Therapy Association: www.ncpt.org or call (919) 841-0268 for more information
- Approved Provider (multiple course offerings) option
Entity authorized by NCBPTE rules to offer multiple activities:
- Contact NCPTA – North Carolina Physical Therapy Association: www.ncpt.org or call (919) 841-0268 for more information. Approval status for one year for a single fee, which may be renewed after expiration.
- Qualify under 21 NCAC 48G .0108(c)
Responsibilities for NC approved courses and activities include:
- Agree to comply with Rule .0107 for each activity provided
- Must value activities according to definitions found in Rule .0105. Need help?: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit a copy of the Verification of Attendance form for the course to NCBPTE within 90 days. Template form available: click here.
- Provide each attendee with a certificate of completion containing:
- Course title, location, date
- Name of Participant
- Number of contact hours
- Instructors name and credentials
- Signature of authorized provider representative
- Name of the course provider, approval code and any expiration date
- Instructional method: live, all electronic, paper-based
- Approval Wording: Courses/activities approved through another physical therapy entity should include the following statement:
“This activity is approved by the NCBPTE by virtue of approval by “x” (name of entity)”.
The statement should include the date range for which the approval is valid and any approval number or code.
Activity providers with approval outside of North Carolina and who host a course in NC may submit attendance forms to the NCBPTE at the address below.
North Carolina Board of Physical Therapy Examiners
18 West Colony Place, Suite 140
Durham, North Carolina 27705