Continuing Competence Updates
Home » CC Welcome » Continuing Competence Updates
Continuing Competence Information– Update 2012
Posted on 1-13-2012
To renew a North Carolina PT or PTA license, NCBPTE Rules require licensees to complete Continuing Competence Activities for the appropriate reporting period. For complete information review: www.ncptboard.org, Continuing Competence link, Rules and Chart.
***Important: Continuing Competence Reporting Periods: Biennial, once in a reporting period***
****(2 calendar years from January 1 to December 31 of the following year)****
License Renewal: Annual. Licenses expire every January 31 at midnight.
Still have questions? : Contact the Board at (919) 490-6393 or email email@example.com.
- Reporting Period Assignments: Reporting periods are 2 calendar years and begin January 1 and end December 31 of the following year. At the end of a reporting period completion of activities is required to renew your license for the following year. If you are at the mid-point of a reporting period you only need to complete the Continuing Competence Online Report to renew your license. Only activities completed within the reporting period will count toward timely completion of the requirement.
You are assigned to a reporting period based on: date of first licensure, revival by endorsement or date and length of lapse before other types of license revivals.
If you were first licensed OR Revived by endorsement in:
- 2010, your reporting period is January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2012.
- 2011, your reporting period is January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2013.
- 2012, your reporting period is January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2014.
If you revived your license by payment, continuing competence, exam or 500 hours of education and clinical practice in:
- 2010 with a lapse of less than one year your reporting period is: 2010-2011
- 2010 with a lapse of greater than one year your reporting period is: 2011-2012
- 2011 with a lapse of less than one year your reporting period is: 2011-2012
- 2011 with a lapse of greater than one year your reporting period is: 2012-2013
- 2012 with a lapse of less than one year your reporting period is: 2012-2012
- 2012 with a lapse of greater than one year your reporting period is: 2013-2014
If you have questions about your reporting period, contact the Board at (919) 490-6393 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Continuing Competence Renewal Requirement: For each 2 year reporting period:
- PT licensees need 30 points, including 1 mandatory point from a Jurisprudence Exercise
- PTA licensees need 20 points, including 1 mandatory point from a Jurisprudence Exercise.
- Know the Continuing Competence Rules: Familiarize yourself with the Board rules related to Continuing Competence. One point of Jurisprudence Exercise is MANDATORY; otherwise you may earn points from any of the listed categories. Go to www.ncptboard.org, Continuing Competence links, for more complete information.
- Know the reporting requirement:
- You are required to report your continuing competence activities online in the Continuing Competence Reporting tool before you may renew your license at the end of your reporting period. READ THE DIRECTIONS ON EACH SCREEN FOR REPORTING ON THE WEBSITE!
- DO NOT send paper documentation to the Board unless you are audited. (See Recording below)
- To report your Continuing Competence activities go, to www.ncptboard.org. Click on the RED button on the home page that says: Continuing Competence Reporting. Licensees are responsible for the accuracy of the information they provide.
- You may enter your activities at any time throughout the reporting period.
- You should keep a printed copy for your files.
- At the end of the reporting period the file becomes “Read-Only” and no additional edits may be made. It will remain available for you to see for reference.
- Jurisprudence Exercise: You must complete one Jurisprudence Exercise each reporting period (every two years by December 31) and report it in the appropriate category in the online reporting tool. You may do JE I or JE II to fulfill the requirement.
- Know the documentation (Recording )requirements:
- You are responsible for keeping a hard copy record of all activities reported that count toward your requirement, which should be obtained at the time of completion.
- Each category has documentation that must be kept as evidence of completion of an activity
- See Rule .0109 for complete documentation requirements or review the Continuing Competence link, REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION on the Board website.
- There are forms available on the website to make documentation for some activities easier: See Continuing Competence link, FORMS.
- At the end of each reporting period a number of licensees will be randomly selected for audit, and asked to send documentation to the Board for review.