Welcome to the North Carolina Board of Physical Therapy Examiners Online Application for Physical
Therapist/Physical Therapist Assistant initial (first) licensure in North Carolina. A complete
application MUST include:
This is a multi-step process, so please read the instructions carefully!
- A North Carolina PT/PTA licensure application, including payment
of the application fee
- An FBI Criminal Background Check (CBC) application and payment of
(FBI CBC results can take up to 90 days and are current for 1 year.
Complete this step EARLY in your application process!)
The NCBPTE Online Application Wizard will guide you through your application for a Physical Therapy or
Physical Therapy Assistant license. The process consists of:
- Creating a login account which you will use throughout your application and career.
- Choosing the right application
- Filling out your Online Application (both FBI CBC and Licensure)
- Uploading your photo and military documents
- Making a payment
- FBI CBC
- Downloading documents that you will need
As a reminder, here's what you need to have on hand when filling out the application:
- A passport style photo
- School information including actual or expected graduation date
- If you are military, a military ID or other proof of service
- Examination information (if you have already passed the NPTE exam)
- Social Security Number, if you have one.
- Your PT/PTA employment history, if applicable. This should include ALL of your PT/PTA work history
since you took the NPTE examination.
Your application is active for one year from the date of submission after
which it will be destroyed if it has not been completed, including the furnishing of all documents
and records that are requested.
For additional application information see Application FAQs or
Step-by-Step Application Instructions.